Best Crib Mattress 2019
Ensuring your little one has a comfortable sleep is incredibly important. Sleep plays a big part in children's growth, and hindered rest can be very detrimental to their development. Our list of crib mattresses below are some of the best around.
The Best Crib Mattress for Children
Below are some of our top picks for children’s crib mattresses. These have all been tested by us and have come out as some of the best available right now.
Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress
The first on our list of the best crib mattress is the lower suffocation risk. This is honestly, one of our favourite mattresses that we have encountered so far. The reason being is the spongy material included as part of it.
The material itself is see-through; the reason that it looks like this is because the 10 percent food grade polymer that it's made of was put into water to create a three-dimensional spongy design. This allows for the entire mattress to be 90 percent air by volume, making it super breathable.
As parents, we’re all worried about the safety of our children while they're sleeping. The Wovenaire has a significantly lower suffocation risk than leading organic and breathable mattresses out there.
This is definitely one of our favorite things about this mattress, because you can plant your face right into it and still breathe comfortably. If you take a closer look at it, you can manage to stick a pencil right in through it and take it right back out - not that we would ever do that with this on. But it just goes to show that it's very spacious and breathable.
Another awesome feature about this is that it's 100 percent washable. Yes, that's right, we’re not kidding! You can remove the cover, toss it in the washing machine and clean it right up.
The woven polymer can also be bathed or showered and set out to dry for six to eight hours. This will decrease mould build up, bacteria and also keep it fresh and clean. All you have to do is unzip the whole thing and it comes right off.
Testimonials say that kids sleep amazing on this mattress, with many parents saying their kids didn’t toss or turn during sleep, even if that’s something they normally do. The other great thing is that the Wovenaire is 100 percent recyclable for all those eco friendly people out there.
Adding to that, as one of the best crib mattresses, it’s also hypoallergenic, Green Guard Gold-certified (among a bunch of other certifications and awards). Overall, The Wovenaire is just a really really great mattress. And like we said earlier, removing the cover is simple - just take it off and there you have it.
It looks like a big block of sponge, and it is, pretty much. But we highly recommend it to absolutely anyone and everyone, especially if you're looking for an organic or breathable mattress.
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers (2-stage) and 100% washable at home.
- PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED: For your baby's health, safety, and development. Hypoallergenic. Winner of numerous awards.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. 100% recyclable. Proudly made in the USA.
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer
The next on our list of the best crib mattress is the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer. The Moonlight Slumber is a very simple mattress, with no gimmicks and no frustrating parts.
You're not going to see any zippers, no fancy textures, no fancy cloths and no fancy materials. It is eco-friendly though, which means that it's free from vinyl, polyurethane, PVC, lead and other harmful chemicals. Even the waterproof material is non-toxic, which is really hard to find.
This mattress does have two sides - one for infants and one for toddlers. The infant-side has an extra firm high-density foam and the toddler-side is a little less firm but still has high-density foam as part of its build.
The difference is definitely noticeable. Parents have to be cautious to not make the mistake of putting their child on the infant-side by accident, which can cause them to sleep badly. Making sure they’re on the appropriate side (so for infants, the firm side) will ensure a great night’s sleep.
The Little Dreamer is very lightweight and water resistant so you can pick it up one-handed. The fact that it is so lightweight is great for parents needing to change it, and any moisture that does make it underneath the crib sheet will stay on top of the mattress and not leak through.
Parents will be glad to know that all they had to do was take it out (quite easily, might we add) and wipe it off.
The other nice thing about this mattress is that it really doesn't hold much heat. It doesn't have heat regulation features, however, although some parents have noted it takes less than 30 seconds to cool down. This isn’t the quickest out of all of them, but it wasn't the longest either.
The average speed is about 20-25 seconds to cool down. So, this is just about in the middle. The mattress also has no odor. There’s not a whole lot of bounce either, which is good.
The mattress passed our edge-support tests with flying colors, and overall, we would recommend this mattress to whoever may be looking for a lightweight, eco-friendly, dual-sided crib mattress.
- DUAL SIDE SLEEP SYSTEM. The Little Dreamer Dual Surface Mattress is a two-stage sleep system for your infant or toddler. Use the extra firm, eco-friendly, plant based foam layer for your infant, or soft plush side for your toddler
- MEDICAL GRADE FABRIC. The medical grade fabric used is waterproof, durable stretch knit fabric with extra tight sewn seams. It is certified to be free of toxic flame-retardant chemicals and has low impact on indoor air due to low VOC
- CLEANS EASILY. The 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic material makes cleaning this dual system sleeping mattress a breeze. With SafeSewn Seams, it is bed bug and dust mite resistant, so you can ensure your baby will have sweet dreams
- PERFORMANCE TESTED. Moonlight Slumber products go through demanding performance-testing procedures, utilizing a range of methods for evaluating durability, safety, and performance
- MADE IN THE USA. Moonlight Slumber procures the safest quality materials to build mattresses in America's heartland. The Little Dreamer is GreenGuard and CertiPUR Certified
Colgate Eco Classica III
Next up is the Colgate Eco Classica III. This mattress is Greenguard Gold certified and CeritPUR-US certified, meaning that there are no harmful chemical emissions, which makes for a better and healthier sleeping environment for a baby.
This dual-sided mattress aids in the growth and development of your baby too. Infants need a firm, flat surface for when they start to push up, roll, stand, crawl, bounce and hop; the solid base of the Colgate is ideal for such development and for strengthening muscles.
The other nice thing about this is that the firmness helps to protect the child from SIDS. If you aren't sure what that is, it stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. In 2014, about 5,900 infants died from SIDS. A firm mattress helps to keep babies from getting stuck in dips or indentations, which can result in suffocation if their face down.
Moving onto what we personally like about the mattress - the first thing is the dual-firmness. We’re not a huge fan of spending unnecessary money, which is why dual-firmness mattresses are rated highly over here.
The advantage of this mattress is that when babies are old enough to be in a toddler bed, all parents have to do is take the mattress out of the crib, turn the crib into a toddler bed and then simply flip the mattress and voila - bed changed. One side is for infants, and one side is for toddlers. One side is a little firmer than the other; the toddler-side is a little softer and a little more comfortable.
While the firm side is for infants, it will keep them safer. The second thing is that the support of the mattress is exceptional. We’ve tested both sides and the infant-side has exceptional support, and the toddler-side had support while offering comfort.
Even children up to 30 pounds can be placed on either side and they will hardly sink in. The mattress stays pretty firm on both sides, which is exceptional. The third and last thing that we loved about this mattress was the lack of heat retention. Among the mattresses we’ve looked at, we tested heat retention using a heat sock, which we usually heat up to about 130 degrees and put on the mattress (to get it up to 130 degrees).
We then check the heat with a heat gun to see how long it takes to get from 130 degrees down to 98 degrees. The average mattress that we've been testing takes about 20-25 seconds to cool down.
This one only took 13 seconds on each side. This means it's super breathable and it will keep your child comfortable at night, especially during those warmer months; it will help to keep their temperature regulated so that they aren't waking up sweaty.
But everything else about the mattress is pretty great, too. We have to say, it seems very nice and tight and there was no odor. It was pretty lightweight and easy to carry around, too. It has good edge-support on both sides and it surpassed the two-finger test, which is a test that we use to make sure it has a snug fit inside of the crib.
Overall, the Coalgate Eco Classica III is an exceptional mattress and we would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a dual-sided, breathable, safe and supportive mattress.
- 6" THICK ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESS - The Eco Classica III is a standard size orthopedic lightweight Crib mattress designed for most standard American cribs and toddler beds. The Crib mattress is approximately 51.63" long, 27.25" wide and 6" thick. Please measure your Crib or bed before purchasing
- DUAL-FIRMNESS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need for proper support and development, while the less firm side provides the comfort toddlers prefer
- ULTRA-SOFT WATERPROOF COVER - The eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover, which is waterproof-backed to ensure the mattress stays dry while the baby's skin remains closest to organic cotton
- GREENGUARD GOLD & CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED - Like all Colgate mattresses, The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements - without the use of Fire retardant chemicals
- MADE IN THE USA - The Eco Classica III is designed to last throughout the infant and toddler years, with inverted seams to ensure Mattress durability. All Colgate Crib mattresses are proudly handcrafted in the USA by Colgate, The Crib mattress Specialist, a family-owned and operated business dedicated to baby's safety since 1955
Naturepedic Crib Mattress
This next mattress is the Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic 150-coil Two-stage Crib Mattress.
First off we would like to say that all of Naturepedic products have been designed with the help of engineers, chemists and paediatricians. Naturepedic also backs all their product family with scientific data and they regularly test their mattresses for chemical allergens. Not only that, but they also have some of the best warranty around, which is very very helpful.
Now, the mattress itself contains certified organic cotton, a food-grade polyethylene steel inner spring, weight support lightweight technology and fire protection or lack thereof, we should say. We only say this because they believe that the best form of fire protection is to provide a superior product design that avoids the need for the harmful chemicals in the first place.
Now, these are our personal favorites about the mattress. The first thing is that the support is beyond excellent.
Many smaller children won’t be able to use the infant-side, but from what we can tell, it is very firm and it will help to support an infant, such when they're reaching their developmental milestones (such as rocking back and forth, getting up on their hands and knees, crawling, standing, bouncing etc).
The toddler-side is a little more comfortable, thanks to the added comfort layer that is inside. Toddlers should sleep very well on it, which is a great bonus. The other thing is that the edge support is fantastic. Since the edges are lined in coil, there isn't going to be much give to them either.
You can press down and there really won’t be anything happening there. This is great for when it comes time for your little one to use a toddler bed. If they roll towards the edge of it and if there is no give there, it's less likely that they’re going to fall. It's not going to completely stop them rolling off the bed, but it will help keep them there.
The other thing that we want to talk about is the heat retention. As mentioned before, we do heat retention tests on all mattresses.
This mattress didn't hold heat and it took around 44 seconds to cool down on the toddler-side and 30 seconds on the infant-side, which is above the average. So it didn’t do particularly well in this test, but this doesn't mean that it's a bad mattress.
This just means that it holds a lot more heat, which is going to be great for the colder months, so that you won’t have to wrap your child in a blanket, which can also pose a suffocation risk. It will help to keep their body temperature warmer, naturally.
Now, let’s move onto everything that’s not in the mattress. This Naturepedic does not contain any questionable chemicals, no allergenic materials, no flame retardants, no insulator pads, no GMO cotton, no glues, adhesives, latex or wool, no soybean or bio-based foam, no memory foam or other forms of polyurethane foam.
We honestly highly recommend the No-compromise Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress from Naturepedic to anyone that’s looking for a great quality crib mattress that's organic and that's going to keep the child feeling comfortable.
- 150 coils, edge support, organic cotton throughout, and a firm easy-to-clean non-toxic waterproof surface.
- Wipe clean waterproof surface and seams so pure it meets food contact standards.
- Safe hypoallergenic design free from harmful chemicals, and certified organic cotton fabric & filling.
- Heirloom quality with lifetime limited warranty. Made in the U.S.A.
- Fits all standard size crib and toddler beds: 27.75" x 52" x 6"
Our Selection of the Best Crib Mattress This Year
There are many crib mattress options and other baby sleeping accessories out there, and hopefully you can see, our selection of crib mattresses is nothing less than top of the crop. But don’t just take our word for it – check out the reviews online yourself, and make sure you find a crib mattress that is perfect for your little one.