When it comes to your pillow, it’s all about personal preference.
There’s no one size fits all when it comes to pillows. There are many different factors to consider when choosing a pillow. From sleep patterns to body position, these factors will determine what type of pillow will suit you best.
If you're a side sleeper, you will require a specific pillow design that other people may not need.
Let’s take a look at our in-depth guide to the 9 best pillows for side sleepers.
Why are These the 9 Best Pillows for Side Sleepers?
Our comprehensive list of the 9 best pillows for side sleepers includes a detailed description of each pillow’ specifications, along with the recommended retail price.
We've also given each pillow and its brand a star rating out of five so that you can make an informed decision about which pillow is best for you.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at our list of the 9 best pillows for side sleepers.
Best Pillow for Side Sleepers Overall: Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE PILLOW with our PROPRIETARY MIX of SHREDDED VISCO ELASTIC MEMORY FOAM - ADD or REMOVE foam to adjust to your comfort, perfect custom made pillow each time - for all sleep positions. Allows greater ventilation - Promotes proper alignment allowing deeper sleep through the night. *PATENT PENDING
- REST ASSURED - CertiPUR-US Certified foam. Our pillows are made without ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs. Our foam has been analyzed by independent, accredited testing laboratories. WHAT IS IN YOUR PILLOW? Our pillows meet the CertiPUR-US standards for content, emissions and durability, and are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs.
- HYPOALLERGENIC & DUST MITE RESISTANT - allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! EASY TO CARE FOR - MACHINE WASHABLE - 5 Year Warranty - Guaranteed it will not go flat.
- Cut Size measurements of pillows: Standard Pillow measures 20 in x 26 in. Queen size measures 20 in x 30 in. King measures 20 in x 36 in cut size.
- BACKED BY THE COOP HOME GOODS GUARANTEE - We guarantee you'll love the pillow, and if you aren't absolutely satisfied, return it within 100 days for a refund, no questions asked.
We’ve started our list out with what we consider to be the best pillow for side sleepers.
The Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with a Viscose Rayon Cover is excellent for people who like to sleep on their side. This pillow is excellent at keeping your neck in the same place all night, allowing for you to maintain the ultimate position.
Despite its sturdiness, it’s also plush and soft enough to provide you with the maximum level of comfort. The inner core of this side sleeper pillow is made up of memory foam that’s been shredded, so it’s not just one solid surface.
One reason why shredded foam is better than solid foam is that it allows you to bend it and shape it to match your needs exactly. Another reason why shredded foam is preferable is that it allows for air to pass through quickly, meaning that it won't accumulate too much and become stuffy.
The materials used in the manufacturing of the Coop Home Goods Memory Foam pillow are hypoallergenic and mite resistant. The Viscose Rayon cover is a bamboo derivative, which means that it won’t hold onto moisture like a cotton cover might.
Best Pillow for Side Sleepers Runner Up: Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow
- Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG! Fully Machine Washable.
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam. NOTE: PLEASE CHECK "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME, ONLY SNUGGLE-PEDIC PRODUCTS SOLD BY RELIEF-MART, INC. ARE GUARANTEED GENUINE AND WILL BE BACKED BY OUR LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY, 120-NIGHT SLEEP TRIAL, AND FREE PERSONAL CUSTOMIZATION IF UNSATISFIED!
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the Neck For Side, Stomach, & Back Sleepers.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping. We use a combination of Biogreen and CertiPUR-US Certified foam tested and shown to be MADE WITHOUT ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Low in VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
- 120-Night, No Hassle REFUND GUARANTEE, FREE CUSTOMIZATIONS and FREE RETURN SHIPPING WHEN YOU CONTACT RELIEF-MART DIRECTLY. INDUSTRY LEADING 20-Year Warranty!
The next pillow on our list also uses shredded memory foam to give you ultimate comfort and support. The high-quality foam that makes up the interior means that this pillow will never go flat and can keep its shape according to your needs all night.
We love the Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Memory Foam pillow because it comes in queen-size, which is ideal if you have a large bed and tend to move around a lot in your sleep. You can even use it for other areas of the body because it’s so big.
The rich, thick profile of this memory foam pillow makes it a great candidate for side sleepers. Side sleeper pillows always need to be thick enough to fill the gap between your neck and the bed.
You get a twenty-year warranty with the Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo side sleeper pillow. The inside of this pillow is made from Biogreen material that’s certified in America. In fact, it’s made in America too, offering an exceptional level of quality.
Best Side Sleeper Pillow for Guaranteed Quality: Good Life Essentials Shredded Foam Pillow
Sometimes, having the backing of a reputable brand behind a product can help you feel extra confident about the quality of purchase.
This can certainly be said for the next side sleeper pillow on our list. The Good Life Essentials Shredded Foam Pillow is made by a company that has a solid reputation for manufacturing high-quality products.
One thing we love about Good Life Essentials is that they’re an American based company. The advantage here is that they’re easy to connect with if you have any issues with your pillow.
The American certified foam used to make this pillow is manufactured in America as well. This certification was created to ensure that homeware like pillows doesn't include elements that are detrimental to the environment, including lead, phthalates, and mercury.
The outer casing of the Good Life Essentials foam pillow is easy to take care of. Because it is made out of eco-friendly bamboo material, it also breathes well at night.
Both the interior and exterior of this pillow prevent the absorption of heat or moisture.
Best Pillow for Side Sleepers with Feathers: Five Star Down Alternative Pillow
While shredded memory foam is a popular choice among side sleepers, there is an alternative that you may prefer instead.
The inner material of this pillow is made from fluffy down fiber. This gives you the luxurious feeling of a down pillow without the downsides like feathers poking out or escaping.
This side sleeper pillow sports a soft microfiber on the inside that provides additional support for your neck and shoulders while you sleep.
While the profile of this pillow is thick and wide to keep your spine in line and support your head, it’s also large enough to accommodate for turning and sleeping on your stomach as well.
The casing of the Five Star Down pillow is made with a 1.5-inch gusset around the edges, ensuring that it will never completely flatten out. This feature also allows you to move around during the night without changing the shape of the pillow and losing your contouring.
The 300 thread count cotton outer shell allows for a luxurious feel that looks good, too.
Best Firm Pillow for Side Sleepers: Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow
While most memory foam pillows for side sleepers have a certain level of firmness, our next model takes it to a whole new level. This is an excellent choice if you prefer to remain in the same position throughout the night without much give.
The side stitching is gusseted, creating a firm platform for your head and neck that won’t warp and twist.
The interior of this pillow is made from spun polyester with a visco-elastic foam core that ensures a comfortable, yet firm sleep.
One reason we love the Sleep Better Iso-Cool memory foam pillow is that of the outer layer. This padding is filled with small microbeads, otherwise known as Phase Changing Material. PCM can actually tell the temperature of your body and when it changes.
If your body temperature changes in the middle of the night, the Iso-Cool side sleeper pillow will adjust the way it absorbs and traps heat so that you’re never uncomfortable.
Best Latex Pillow for Side Sleepers: Malouf Z 100% Natural Talalay Latex Pillow
A part of choosing the right side sleeper pillow for you is knowing what material is going to suit you best. Our next pillow is made from a unique material that has a number of different benefits.
The Malouf Z Natural Latex Zoned Pillow is made from a unique latex material within. This material has thin, precisely drilled tubes that run through the foam. This is designed to create a comfort zone that helps to regulate air control.
This means that heat escapes easily from this pillow, keeping you nice and fresh in the process.
This original Talalay Latex is different from other conventional Latex that is often used with side sleeper pillows. It is more resilient, which allows for a quicker adjustment in the middle of the night should you fall out of sync.
Because this pillow conforms to the shape of your body faster, you’re always supported no matter what position you’re in. The materials used to make this pillow are hypoallergenic and resistant to mildew.
The unique zone on the Malouf Z Latex pillow gives you extra support by helping to take the pressure off your joints.
Best Classic Pillow for Side Sleepers: Classic Brands Conforma Memory Foam Pillow
- Responsive memory foam provides ergonomic support and is ideal for side and back sleepers
- Superior pressure relief and supportive comfort for your head, neck, and shoulders
- Memory foam is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites
- Ventilated memory foam regulates body temperature during sleep
- Medium-plush feel
We’ve already talked about another pillow that’s popular because of the brand’s reputation. The next model on the list is liked for a similar reason.
The Classic Brands Conforma memory foam pillow is an ultra-supportive, cool pillow that has a natural cotton cover. Cotton provides you with a smooth, refreshing sleep.
This side sleeper pillow offers customers the maximum amount of support, measuring five inches thick. Unlike many other pillows on our list, the Classic Brands Conforma side sleeper pillow is made out of one solid piece of foam, which certainly has its advantages.
One of these advantages is that you won't lose your shape throughout the night. Additionally, a precision airflow tunnel running through the core of this pillow allows for a relaxing and cool surface above.
One thing we love about the Classic Brands Conforma pillow is how big it is. It measures 16 inches long, which means it’s also useful if you like to support your back and legs while you sleep.
Best Versatile Pillow for Side Sleepers: Sleep Better Beyond Down Gel Fiber Side Sleeper
Our next side sleeper pillow has expanded on the classic down style of the pillow and discovered a way to replicate it.
The Sleep Better Down Gel Fiber foam pillow is packed full of denier gel in its center. You may be tempted to think that this gel is a liquid – however, they’re actually tiny beads that are designed to absorb shock.
Gel denier beads are much more comfortable to lie on than bean or shell fillings. While providing a gentle level of support, these gel beads will shift and conform to your unique body shape.
What we love most about the Sleep Better Gel Fiber foam pillow is that it’s easy to wash. Simply put it in the washing machine with the rest of your laundry, and it’s as good as new.
Best Waterbase Pillow for Side Sleepers: Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Our Waterbase technology has been clinically proven by an independent Johns Hopkins study to reduce neck pain and improve overall quality of sleep, bringing you the best night's sleep you have ever experienced
- IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEPING POSITIONS: -If you are a side, back or stomach sleeper or switch in between - the water will move with your head, so you will never have to adjust or fluff this pillow. 200 thread count cotton shell. Machine wash and dry
- CUSTOMIZE TO YOUR COMFORT: Our Waterbased Pillow can be customized to your liking! Adjust the water level for make your pillow soft, medium, firm or even medium-firm!
- SUPERIOR MATERIAL: This pillow is made with a fully sealed and insulated water pouch with resilient Dacron Hollofil fiber layer on top, encased in a 100% hypoallergenic cotton shell, providing exceptional comfort for the head.
- MADE IN THE USA: We stand by our product with a 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee & 3 Year Warranty over manufacturing errors - if you aren't happy within 30 days, we'll take it back, no questions asked.
You may have slept on a waterbed before – but have you tried using a water-based pillow?
Making a side sleeper pillow like you would a waterbed gives you a number of different advantages. These include a giving and supportive surface that’s comfortable and soothing to lay on.
The durable, rugged inner liner of this pillow is fillable. This means that you can add just the right amount of water to suit your height and sleep requirements.
Because everybody has a different body type, other pillows can’t fit your exact specifications the way that the Mediflow Waterbase pillow can. The outer layer is made of 100% cotton, allowing for a cool sleep.
Looking at the 9 Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
Now that we’ve covered 9 of the best pillows for side sleepers currently available, it’s up to you to choose which one best suits your needs.
From shredded memory foam to Latex and Waterbase, there’s bound to be a side sleeper pillow on our list that can ensure you get a good night’s sleep.
Featured Image Source: Pixabay.com