You can never have enough pillows.
You can ask my mom to confirm that, she has more pillows than she has a bed.
Pillows are crucial to the enjoyment of our sleep experience, and we all strive for the best possible sleep we can get. It’s a pretty awful feeling to wake up restless with a stiff neck because of a sad, inadequate pillow – that’s no way to start off a long day.
Wouldn’t you rather bound into a bed full of comfort to embrace your pillow like a close friend? A good choice in pillow can make you feel like you’re sleeping on cloud nine, so let’s take a look at the Casper Pillow – a lovely choice to add to your collection of plush.
Dive Headfirst into the Casper Brand Pillow
The gist: Casper, a mattress company, sells one pillow and it’s called The Pillow. You can get the standard 18’’ x 26’’ size for $75 or the king 18’’ x 34’’ size for $95.
Dubbed the “goldilocks pillow” by Business Insider, the main selling point of Casper’s pillow is its versatility to meet most sleeper’s needs. It’s comfortable and supportive in all sleep positions even as you move around during the night.
The pillow within a pillow design (pillow-ception, anyone?) is optimized to give sleepers a lovely combination of softness and strength. The soft and fluffy outer pillow-pocket surrounds the strong and supportive inner core pillow to create an overall comfortable pillow that doesn’t fall flat under your weight.
You’ll feel good falling asleep with its softness and wake up still feeling good with your head and neck supported throughout the night. The pillow offers the best of both worlds, which is great for the majority of sleepers, but not for those who prefer their pillows to be papa-bear-firm or mama-bear-soft.
The pillow’s stuffing is central to the magic created in the soft sheath and firm middle. It uses two types of synthetic fibers, opting out of down or memory foam filling options because of how much easier the fibers’ properties are to control (length, smoothness, springiness, thickness). The synthetic polyester microfibers can be manipulated to be ideal for creating softness or strength in pillows, while down stuffing has no springiness and flattens out, and memory foam was too temperature-sensitive to use for a product striving to stay cool.
Speaking of the cool side of the pillow, Casper’s pillow has a 100% cotton cover to keep it breathable and cool on all sides all night long. It also comes with a 2’’ gusset – an extra piece of material that creates a side panel connecting the top and bottom of the pillow all around to give it extra expansion and structure. It helps keep the stuffing balanced throughout the pillow, allows for greater volume, and helps provide neck and spine support.
The Casper pillow is easy to care for, too. To wash, take the inner pillow out of the outer pillow then zip the outer pillow back up. Toss both into your washing machine in the gentle cycle with cold water and mild liquid detergent. Tumble dry on low with dryer balls or clean tennis balls. Do that every 3 to 6 months and you’re golden.
Casper recommends fluffing the pillow daily if you can to keep it fresh and floaty. They even provide specific fluffing tips to keep your pillow in prime condition (no bunches, clumps, or flat spots). A lot of love went into the creation of this pillow, so here’s what you should do to give your pillow some love back: separate the pillows and fluff the inner one diagonally, fluff up the outer pillow from the long sides on a flat surface (don’t flap it like a sheet), then put your pillow-in-a-pillow back together.
Casper offers a 3-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial with the pillow. You can hang out with your Casper pillow for up to 100 nights to see whether or not you can see yourself in a happy future relationship with it. We love our sleep, so pillow choice is obviously an important decision. The trial is Casper’s return policy. If you decide the Casper pillow isn’t the right pillow for you, you can let it down easy into a box with a prepaid UPS shipping label slapped on and send it back to Casper for free. You’ll also get a 100% refund.
Casper made it a point to design a pillow that works for all sleep positions, considering most of us toss and turn from stomach to back to side in our attempts to get comfy throughout the night. The pillow might not be the ideal pillow for everyone, but it’s a general-purpose all-around good performer that can satisfy most anyone no matter their sleep position.
What About Other Pillows?
The Casper pillow might not be the right fit for you. While reviewers praise its goldilocks qualities, pillow-in-a-pillow design, cool cotton cover, easy cleaning, and 100-day trial, at the same time they’re not that impressed with the noise it makes and the particularly high loft that makes it more difficult for hardcore stomach-sleepers to get the max level of comfort the pillow promises.
Here are a few other top pillows to consider alongside the Casper pillow when looking for a new under-head friend:
Nest Bedding Easy Breather
Consistently ranking at the top of reviewer’s best pillow lists, the Nest Bedding Easy Breather is a wildly comfortable pillow with supple support mimicking a down and feather pillow without the tendency to fall flat underneath you. Its cover is made of tercel blended fabric, and it’s stuffed with shredded memory foam that you can remove to adjust the pillow height to your preference. It doesn’t have the off-putting smell some memory foam pillows do, it stays cool and dry, has good airflow, conforms to your body, and is quite huggable. You have 100 nights to try it out and see how you like it. The Easy Breather comes in three sizes: standard 24’’ x 16’’ for $99, queen 27’’ x 16’’ for $109, and king 32’’ x 16’’ for $129.
- Zipper cover Tencel blended fabric.
- Adjustable, supportive for any sleep style.
- CertiPUR shredded memory foam fill.
- Arrives overstuffed and ready for you to remove the amount you feel is needed to achieve the perfect nights sleep.
If you’re a dedicated devotee of the cool side of the pillow always hunting for that refreshing feeling when you lay down, you’ll love the Layla pillow. Available in the $74 standard 18’’ x 24’’ size or the $94 king 18’’ x 32’’ size, the Layla is a sleeping hothead’s dream with its copper cooling technology laced into the cover and floating among the shredded memory foam and kapok (a natural soft, supportive fiber made from the seed pods of kapok trees) filling. The copper fibers draw out and dissipate your body heat so you stay nice and cool. The copper also acts as an anti-bacterial and anti-viral barrier, and the pillow overall is hypoallergenic and down-like without using real down. You have 120 nights to decide whether or not you’re in love with Layla.
Coop Home Goods
An affordable and adjustable shredded memory foam pillow? Yes, please. The Coop Home Goods Pillow is a huggable, machine-washable, hypoallergenic bundle of fluff. It has a polyester/bamboo blend cover over a cloth zipper bag full of shredded visco elastic memory foam you can pull out or put back in until it’s the perfect size for you. This plush, breathable, cooling pillow comes in three sizes: standard 20’’ x 26’’ for $55, queen 20’’ x 30’’ for $60, and king 20’’ x 36’’ for $65. Too bad you only get 30 days to try it out.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE PILLOW with our PROPRIETARY MIX of SHREDDED VISCO ELASTIC MEMORY FOAM - ADD or REMOVE foam to adjust to your comfort, perfect custom made pillow each time - for all sleep positions. Allows greater ventilation - Promotes proper alignment allowing deeper sleep through the night. *PATENT PENDING
- REST ASSURED - CertiPUR-US Certified foam. Our pillows are made without ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs. Our foam has been analyzed by independent, accredited testing laboratories. WHAT IS IN YOUR PILLOW? Our pillows meet the CertiPUR-US standards for content, emissions and durability, and are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs.
- HYPOALLERGENIC & DUST MITE RESISTANT - allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! EASY TO CARE FOR - MACHINE WASHABLE - 5 Year Warranty - Guaranteed it will not go flat.
- Cut Size measurements of pillows: Standard Pillow measures 20 in x 26 in. Queen size measures 20 in x 30 in. King measures 20 in x 36 in cut size.
- BACKED BY THE COOP HOME GOODS GUARANTEE - We guarantee you'll love the pillow, and if you aren't absolutely satisfied, return it within 100 days for a refund, no questions asked.
If you want a conforming and supportive pillow that still has great cooling and air circulation, Purple’s the pillow for you. You don’t have to worry about your pillow clumping up or losing shape with Purple’s Hyper-Elastic Polymer and Smart Comfort Grid (which is basically hundreds of tiny, squishy triangles arranged together for max comfort, support, and breathability). No fluffing needed thanks to the pillow’s super durable “purple stuff.” Firm around the edges for support and soft in the middle for comfort, this pillow is gentle on your spine and offers great neck support to take the pressure off so you can dream easy. The pillow’s 24’’ x 16’’, weighs 10 pounds, and is $99. The cover is machine washable (use warm water and the gentle cycle) and the interior is waterproof, so you can just scrub it down with warm water and gentle detergent. Beware: it has a slight chemical smell at first, but it goes away. Purple has 100 nights to win over your heart (and head) or you can send it back for a 100% refund.
- THE PURPLE PILLOW NO LONGER INCLUDES THE ADJUSTABLE BOOSTER.*** PERFECT FORM PILLOW - The Purple Pillow by Purple Innovations is made with Hyper-Elastic Polymer arranged in a head-specific Smart Comfort Grid so it will never break down or lose its carefully formed shape. Our Purple pillows for sleeping are firm around the edges to give gentle support, yet soft and head-conforming in the middle for maximum comfort all sleep long.
- BEST NECK PILLOW - Our pillow is made with hundreds of tiny triangles that let the pillow relax under pressure without losing support. The reinforced edges give your neck extra comfort all night. The white cover is made of polyester, spandex, and bamboo products to keep your face and neck cool and comfortable. Take it with you on the go as a travel pillow so you never lose sleep again.
- NO FLUFF PURPLE STUFF - With Purple bed pillows, you will never have to fluff your pillow again. Our patented design keeps its perfect pillow shape without punching. Our pillows support every kind of sleeper, whether you prefer to sleep on your side or back. Other pillows can lose their shape, causing you to wake up with a sore neck after a fitful night of sleep. Rest easy with the Purple Pillow.
- FREE-FLOW AIR CHANNELS - The Free Air Flow technology with breathable channels neutralizes temperatures and won't trap heat like memory foam pillows. Our pillow neutralizes temperatures to keep your head and neck perfectly comfortable. The two founding brothers of Purple Innovations have over 30 years combined experience with advanced aerospace technology and cushion design manufacturing expertise.
- ANTIMICROBIAL PILLOW - Naturally Antimicrobial with no artificial germicides, the materials used protect against allergens and dust mites. Our patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer is FDA-certified for safe use, and our foam has been certified by the CertiPUR-US Certified program, so you can be sure that the materials are completely safe. Every side is the best side of the pillow with Purple. ***THE PURPLE PILLOW NO LONGER INCLUDES THE ADJUSTABLE BOOSTER.***
eLuxurySupply (Hotel White Goose)
If you’ve always been a fan of or wanted a feather or down pillow, you absolutely need the eLuxurySupply Goose Down pillow. It’s incredibly soft, lightweight, durable, and you won’t have to deal with any sharp feather poking. It’s stuffed with 600 fill power (a measure of how fluffy a down pillow is, higher fill power = higher loft) which gives it a medium high loft – just supportive enough to be moldable. It has a 100% cotton machine washable and dryer-friendly cover, is soft as a cloud, and is just begging for you to hug it for 30 straight nights and keep it forever. It comes in standard 20’’ x 26’’, jumbo 20’’ x 28’’, queen 20’’ x 30’’, and king 20’’ x 36’’. The standard size costs about $86, and the queen size costs about $96.
- Made In The USA
- 600 Fill Power White Goose Down
- 80% Down - 20% Feather filling
- 4 Sizes Available: Standard (20x26), Jumbo (20x28), Queen (20x30), and King (20x36)
- Easy Care Machine Washable & Dryable
eLuxurySupply (Overfilled Down Alternative)
Is eLuxurySupply’s goose down pillow too expensive for you? Are you enchanted by the feel of feather pillows but have too many allergies to realistically sleep on them? Consider the eLuxurySupply Overfilled Down Alternative. It’s an affordable and hypoallergenic substitute for the majesty that is the goose down pillow. It’s stuffed with a lightweight polyester microfiber that’s meant to mimic the feel of a traditional down feather pillow. It has a medium amount of density and a medium-high loft for a pleasant softness and firm but gentle support. The cover is 100% cotton. A standard 20’’ x 26’’ will run you $40, a queen 20’’ x 30’’ is $43, and a king is 20’’ x 36’’ for $46.
- HIGH QUALITY CONSTRUCTION - Durable 230 TC Cambric Woven 100% Cotton Casing is the perfect blend for longevity and luxury
- SUPREME COMFORT - These medium density pillows provide perfectly soft, gentle yet firm lift for all the natural care you need as you sleep. Perfect for all sleeping styles - Back, Side & Stomach
- Standard Size is 20" x 26" and is filled with revolutionary bounce back cluster fiber
- Save money by enrolling in the subscribe and save program | Made in the USA - Sold by veteran owned eLuxurySupply
- Backed by the eLuxurySupply 100% Money-Back Guarantee--no questions asked returns for full refund
For more suggestions and pillow ideas, here’s an impressive buyer’s guide master list of pillows for when your pillow hunt starts getting serious.
The Casper pillow is impressive and fairly-priced for its quality.
If you’re looking for a versatile, well-balanced pillow under $100 then you wouldn’t be wrong in buying the Casper pillow for your sleep needs.
There are definitely other comparable options and better choices for people looking for specific things in their pillows (softer, colder, stronger, cheaper), but if you choose to buy the Casper pillow you won’t regret it.
Happy pillow hunting and sweet dreams!