Memory Foam mattresses have been all the craze since they came out in 1991.
Innerspring mattresses are a thing of the past as memory foam has seemingly proved to be more popular from health conscious to environmentally conscious reasons. A high-quality mattress should be at the top of everyone’s priority list, as sleep deprived individuals cease to be alert, productive, and more often than not, are usually incredibly cranky.
It is suggested that everyone change out their mattress every # number of years because they can get pretty disgusting what with dead skin, dust mites, bed bugs and bacteria.
So if you’re like me, and it’s time for you to throw away that old mattress that you’ve had since childhood, then below you will find a helpful guide to make the laborious mattress picking process a little less of a hassle.
Purchasing a quality mattress will be one of the best investments you ever make. However, few people are willing to splurge more than a couple hundred dollars on the perfect mattress, as your quality of life and overall happiness will drastically be transformed.
1. Amerisleep AS3 (formerly known as Amerisleep Liberty)
Warranty: 20 years
Trial Length: 100 nights
Warranty: Forever (Wow!)
Trial Length: 365 nights
Warranty: Lifetime warranty too (Neat-o!)
Trial Length: 120 nights
4. The Casper
Warranty: 10 years
Trial Length: 100 nights
5. Loom & Leaf
Warranty: 15 years
Trial Length: 120 nights
Finding the Right Mattress for You
Every year scientists get together, creating new technologies and designing even more advanced mattresses every single year. And I can’t stress the importance enough of finding a mattress that both compliments and fits your natural sleeping posture.
Part of the problem is that buyers are overwhelmed with the hundreds mounts of choices that are shoved down their throats. Thus if you’re browsing through mattresses online, I’m sure you’re just about ripping your hair out right now.
But don’t fret, that’s why I’m here!
How We Chose Our Ratings
The top picked mattresses from 2018 listed below stem from serious research, extensive feedback analysis along with scouring over countless customer reviews from verified sources such as Sleep Like the Dead and Amazon.
Each bed and brand talked about feature excellent ratings, satisfaction, and large statistics compared to some of their unlisted competitors. These beds have each across the board scored higher than the average mattress, creating for a more reputable and satisfactory experience. These memory foam mattresses are each uniquely spectacular, containing special little custom differential features.
Now it’s up to you to decide which foam mattress will be the best fit for you. Keep in mind, that just because these are the highest rated doesn’t mean that they will necessarily be the top option for your personal sleeping needs.
Everyone is different, sleeps different and does different things in their bed, so it’s only fair that each bed be customized to your specific preferences.
Disclaimer: If you suffer from lower back pain, which many of us unfortunately do. Extensive research has proved time and time again that the absolute best option for your back is a memory foam mattress. These types of beds in specific are designed to help alleviate pain while evenly distributing support.
10 Best Memory Foam Mattresses for All Your Sleeping Needs
All of the most significant memory foam mattresses have been listed below and you may be surprised on which companies did (and didn’t) make the cut. Check out the list, as it should help you better determine which memory foam mattress is the right fit for you.
As one of the first brands to pioneer the online bed-n-box ordering fiasco, this eco-friendly approach to memory foam is finished off with touches and adornments of luxury. This bed really contours to its occupant’s bodies, combining a thick layer of memory foam with a high quality supportive base layer to support and cushion the body all night long. Their unique memory foam is extremely breathable (listen up you bed sweaters), highly responsive to back alignment needs and is manufactured in a 100% zero-emissions facility. For all you fellow tree huggers like myself, this is a huge feat!
- 12" profile offering a versatile support for people who change positions while sleeping
- 3" Bio-Pur memory foam cooling layer, 2" Affinity layer, 7" Bio-Core sag-free support layer
- Celliant-infused cover clinically proven to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
- Proudly made in the USA using patented VPF technology
- Compatible with an adjustable bed foundation
Amerisleeps highly responsive material is scientifically proven to ease muscle pain, promote circulation and convert your excess body heat into beneficial infrared energy. This brand is increasingly popular, as it’s the best reviewed mattress company online. Their top rated mattress features high-quality embellishments and add-ons, that are usually only seen in very expensive premium mattress competitors.
The Amerisleep AS3 has awesomely checked off all of the key bullet points that I personally search for, along with offering some excellent eco-friendly green benefits too! With free shipping and a long trial period, I say go for it.
This mattress is known for providing excellent pressure relief and body contouring (great for side sleepers) while also incorporating cooling and breathability elements. The bed is 11 inches thick with 5 differing layers: a breathable base, adaptive hi-core memory foam, gel memory foam, quilted gel memory foam and a top environmentally friendly cooling cover. Nectar is known to have a pretty good firmness level, with the mattress absorbing movement, allowing minimal bounce.
The cover is extremely soft, almost giving off a decadent silky feel that will have you never wanting to leave your bed. The layer protecting the mattress is made from tencel, which is an eco-friendly, bed bug resistant fabric that promotes temperature regulation and blood flow. The tencel fabric dissolves moisture and heat by wicking it right away, and is completely removable so that it can be cleaned regularly.
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 night and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 night trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
- NECTAR FOREVER WARRANTY - We guarantee Nectar for as long as you own the mattress. Longest warranty in the business (we checked).
- IDEAL SUPPORT FOR ANY POSITION - Optimal level of firmness, coolness, breathability, and comfort. Nectar molds to your body, relieving all your aches and pains. It is firm enough to support you, but soft enough to be gentle where you're sensitive. Even on those 90° nights, Nectar sleeps cool, gently regulating heat for an ideal temperature all night long.
The Nectar mattress contains two layers of gel memory foam to serve further as cooling agents. Quilted into the cover is also an inch layer of breathable gel memory foam to give slumbers’ that sleeping on a cloud feel. On the underside of the cover there are small bumps, acting like little grips to help prevent the mattress from sliding around on its frame. The mattress is compatible with platforms, box springs, divans, slated frames and adjustable bases. However, the company also conveniently offers a foundation specifically designed for the Nectar Mattress, which is also covered by the forever warranty.
This online retailer has strived to cut out the middle man by providing a high-quality product at an affordable price point. The company represents an exceptional product for the bed-in-box marketplace. Offering a year trial period (which is virtually unheard of) and conveniently delivering your bed all nicely rolled up (with handles) to your front door for hassle free transport.
There is virtually no risk in trying this product, except that you might get the best darn sleep of your life!
This is the best mattress for pressure relief, as its double-sided function-ability featuring both medium-soft and firm options mean that anyone can find comfort sleeping on these beds.
With Layla, you will be able to adjust the firmness to specifically coincide with your sleeping preferences. The soft side of the mattress gives sleepers that melting-into-the-bed feeling that so many memory foam lovers absolutely adore.
- $100 OFF - Clip the Coupon Below Before Adding to Your Cart and SAVE $100 on your purchase
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
- THERMOGEL INFUSED COVER - Provides excellent heat dispersion and a cooler night's sleep. Thermo Gel reacts to body temperature to keep your body from getting too warm while you sleep. No more jolting awake in the middle of the night when you get too hot.
- EASY HASSLE FREE RETURNS IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT - Contact us with ANY issues and if you don't love it, we will have the mattress picked up from your doorstep and refund you in full -- that's it!
Something unique about Layla’s memory foam complex, making it unlike any of its competitors, is that the memory foam material is infused with copper. This is a brand spanking new innovation revolutionizing the memory foam industry.
Copper is known as a great conductor of heat, helping to draw it out and away from peaceful sleepers. While the copper provides a successful solution, the mattresses other layer, called the Air Flow foam, has an egg crate design that also aides with cooling down its occupants. The copper in these mattresses is rumored to provide additional health benefits, as it’s antimicrobial and creates an all-around reliving sensation.
4. The Casper
This brand is one of the most well-known online mattress distributors, with their mattresses known for being extremely compatible with all types of sleeping positions.
- HIGH QUALITY SMART DESIGN: 4-layer foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce. Memory foam and a springy top layer for balanced comfort. It's got just the right sink, just the right bounce, and it keeps you cool all night. The open-cell top layer uses convection and conduction to flow heat away from your body to help you sleep cool all night. Similarly, the memory foam layer leverages airflow to pull heat out of the top layer, leaving you cool and comfortable.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our foams are Certi-Pur certified to be free of ozone depleting chemicals, and meet regulated low emissions standards.
- MINIMAL MOTION TRANSFER: Thanks to our unique combination of foams, you won't feel your partner (or your pet) move around in bed.
- RISK-FREE 100 NIGHT TRIAL: The Casper Mattress Comes with a risk-free, 100 night trial, so you can try the mattress in your own home. Each mattress also comes with a 10-year industry standard warranty.
- BED IN A BOX BASICS: Once you take your mattress out of the box, it will expand and be ready to sleep on within minutes (some will take longer to fully expand). Any new product can have a mild scent upon unboxing which should dissipate within in a few hours in a well-ventilated room.
Casper has recently updated their original model to include a Zoned-In layer, which helps to create a balance between alignment and comfort. The Zoned support layer uses softer foam under the shoulders for even better pressure relief. There is firmer foam around the hip and core region to support heavier weights, keeping the spine aligned. With the company’s open cell design paired with placing the memory layer under the top layer, sleepers are able to stay both cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Casper’s quick responding foam is great for pressure relief without the slow response, making it even easier to move around on your bed without disturbing anyone or anything. This trait is called motion isolation, and is found in latex mattresses as well.
5. Loom & Leaf
Known for their luxury look and feel while amounting to only half of the dollar amount of other luxury mattresses. This memory foam mattress has an organic cotton cover and woven thistle, flame retardant and eco-friendly foams. These natural materials are incorporated into its design giving the product a rich feel.
- QUALITY MATERIALS- Engineered with 4 layers including premium, high-density memory foam that provides support while contouring and conforming to your body.
- SLEEPS COOL- The Designed to sleep cool with a non-toxic, proprietary cooling gel layer.
- ECO FRIENDLY- Memory foam mattressesdesigned to be as eco-friendly as possible, with an organic cotton pillow top, eco-friendly foam, a natural thistle flame retardant, and an antimicrobial treatment.
- UNMATCHED VALUE- By eliminating the overhead associated with retail stores, we were able to put in all of the luxury features found in premium mattresses. We could charge a lot more for the Loom & Leaf, but we prefer to pass the savings on to you.
- SUPERIOR SERVICE- 120-night trial, free shipping & setup, 15-year warranty, 24/7 Customer Service
With handles on the side, Loom & Leaf has provided an extremely handy way to move the bed throughout the house and to its destination. There is a Spinal Zone gel layer under the quilted cover to give the spine extra support and cooling with the gel swirled into the top memory foam layer. The edge of the bed has exceptional support (especially for a memory foam mattress).
This bed is a great fit for people who enjoy a slower responding feel while also wanting that additional support. The mattress comes in two firmness levels (Relaxed Firm and Firm), meaning it’s a great option for those stomach and back sleepers.
Unlike most other beds on this list, this mattress is NOT shipped in a box. Instead Loom & Leaf provides Free White Golf Delivery, installing your new mattress and even removing the old one. Talk about awesome.
Please remember to keep in mind that each of the memory foam products listed above command a higher price compared to budget foam due to their durability, comfortability and extended life expectancy. Their warranties are all excellent, making the purchase well worth the buy in the long run.
Buyers Guide: What to Consider When Purchasing a Foam Mattress
There are many different things to keep in mind when purchasing a memory foam mattress.
The biggest complaint towards memory foam mattresses (other than the cost of course) is the fact that these mattresses have the tendency to retain heat. If you’re a hot sleeper like myself, or just live in a tropical climate area, these are major sleeping concerns!
Because this material in specific is known to trap heat, sleeping beauties like myself can easily find themselves overheating in the middle of the night. Keep in mind though, that this is most commonly prevalent with lower grade (cheaply made) products. Each mattress listed above has found an innovative way to avoid the overheating issue, thank goodness!
If you’re still worried about getting too hot, I would suggest getting a fan. If you’re old school (and broke) like me, you’ll just have that ceiling fan cranked on high paired with a stand-up fan next to the bed. However, for you fancy sleepers who don’t mind spending a pretty penny, the BedJet is an awesome climate comfort system that delivers cool air to you from underneath the sheets.
As one can now imagine, it’s critical to heavily consider your sleeping habits and comfort preferences when searching for that perfectly compatible mattress.
Memory Foam for Miracle Sleep
While there are many options out there, we hope this guide has provided you with some handy insight for when you decide to begin your tedious mattress search. Other mattress companies that didn't make our list, but also produce decent mattresses are Aireloom, Leesa, Serta, Spa Sensations and Sealy. Most of the mattresses listed in this guide offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy, so there’s no reason not to try out that new bed.
Keep this article close and on-hand, as you will want to reference back to this list when mattress shopping. Purchasing a high-quality mattress will be one of the best investments you ever make.
Your entire body, sleep cycle and overall quality of life will thank you for making the decision to switch over to a memory foam mattress.
We would love to hear from you! Which mattress do you like the best on the list?