Naturepedic Crib Mattress Review
The concern about possible chemical effects on children is growing fast! Over the years, there are certain chemical products that have been banned or removed from baby products due to the suspicion that they may cause childhood disorders.
Baby mattresses are not an exception. With the increase in health-conscious parenthood, organic crib mattresses are becoming more and more popular. A good example of this type of mattress is the Naturepedic Crib mattress.
This mattress embodies all the qualities of a baby-friendly mattress. It is soft, comfortable, hypoallergenic, waterproof, made from real cotton, and easy to clean – everything for a good night’s sleep.
There are several Naturepedic Crib Mattresses including the Naturepedic Ultra 252 Seamless Dual Firmness Crib Mattress, Naturepedic Organic Cotton Classic Seamless Crib Mattress, and the Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic Mattress.
Whatever crib mattress you choose, focus more on its safety, durability, and good construction.
Overview of the Naturepedic Crib Mattress
The crib mattress weighs 17.6lbs and measures 27.5”x52”x6” which conforms to the ASTM standards for crib mattresses.
On the top of the mattress, there a soft pad with a grid system underneath to improve circulation. Beneath that, there is a waterproof cover made of food-grade polyethylene (made from non-GMO sugarcane) that does not contain any harmful chemicals. This cover also acts as a deterrent to bed bugs and dust mites.
Underneath that is an organic cotton layer to offer the necessary comfort. The organic cotton is GOTS-certified. This is followed by a unique coil system that provides strength, thickness, and support to the mattress. The coil system used in place of the dense spring system that is usually found in most mattresses.
Review of the Naturepedic Crib Mattress Features
Here is an in-depth look at the construction of the Naturepedic Crib Mattress:
1. Environmentally Friendly
This mattress features certified organic cotton filling grown in the U.S. and a food-grade polythene cover that does not contain any toxic chemical plasticizers like phthalates. Typical polythene covers contain PVC (vinyl) which releases harmful dioxin during its manufacture and requires phthalate which is harmful to children.
Switching from a PVC foam mattress to an organic cotton mattress helps to promote a safer and healthier living environment.
The Naturepedic crib mattress is collectively designed and constructed under the directions of the Institute of Hazardous Materials Management, the Institute of Professional Environmental Practice, and the American Academy of Environmental Engineers.
2. Evenly Balanced and Supportive
The Naturepedic premium crib mattresses feature either a 150-coil innerspring system at 13 gauge or a 252-coil innerspring system at 15.5 gauge that provide ideal weight distribution and support of the body.
What’s more, the 252 innerspring features a 9-gauge cross beam that prevents sagging on the middle of the mattress. This makes the mattress suitable for wire mesh cribs which don’t have any support at the center.
No matter the coil count, Naturepedic crib mattresses will always offer firm support that’s important to your newborn’s safety. However, you’ll still find that there’s a slight difference in support and firmness depending on the coil count you choose.
The maximum number of coils that can fit a standard crib mattress is usually 252 (which the Naturepedic offers). There are some brands that advertise higher coil counts (such as 1000 or 500 coils), but they don’t actually contain all these coils. In these cases, the number of coils is based on the equivalent of a larger mattress size such as queen, king, and full-size mattress. This can be quite misleading to buyers.
The Naturepedic crib mattress is made of organic materials (organic cotton fiber, organic cotton fabric, and food-grade polythethene) which do not easily burst into flames or release toxic fumes when ignited.
Unlike polyurethane foam mattress, this mattress has passed all the state and federal flammability standards. This means that it does not use any fire-retardant materials.
One of the best things about the Naturepedic crib mattress is that its allergy friendly. In the unfortunate event your child inherits your allergy-prone genes, this is the mattress for them.
It contains organic allergy-free materials only – that means no latex, soy, or any other allergens. Moreover, the polyethylene cover prevents dust mites from settling in the mattress. With a Naturepedic crib mattress, your baby won’t be getting a stuffy nose any time soon.
A chemical-seeped, artificial crib foam mattress may seem like a terrible choice, but it does have one redeeming feature – it is lightweight.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Naturepedic crib mattress. While it may not be terribly heavy, it weighs about 17lbs which means that you’ll be getting a small workout every time you move it.
This may not be a deal breaker, but it’s worth noting.
6.Waterproof and Easy to Clean
When using a non-waterproof mattress, spit-up, urine, and dribble from your baby can easily cause fungal, bacteria, and mold growth. This creates an unsafe environment for your child. In addition, if the liquid seeps into a PVC/vinyl cover (which contains harmful chemicals), it can off-gas or leach out, causing further damage to your baby.
The Naturepedic offers the ultimate non-toxic, waterproof, dust-mite proof, stain resistant crib mattress surface. With this mattress, you will not spend more on supplementary items like dust mite covers, wool moisture pads, and waterproof pads.
The edges of the Naturepedic crib mattress are pointy square. This allows it to fit tightly into the corners of most cribs so that there are no gaps that may cause injuries to the baby.
Nonetheless, it is always recommended to take the measurement of your baby’s crib before going for mattress shopping as some cribs are slightly larger or smaller than the standard size of cribs. This will save you quite a headache!
The pointed square design also helps the mattress meet the CPSC safety standards for cribs.
8. Risk-Free Return Policy
If you are not satisfied with the Naturepedic crib mattress, you may return it for a full refund within the first 30 days of use as long as it’s in good condition. Even better, there is a free return shipping policy where you are provided with a prepaid return mailing label.
How Naturepedic Crib Mattress Compares to its Competitors
In order to gauge how good (or bad) the Naturepedic crib mattress is, you’ll need to compare it to other similar products available on the market. They include:
1. Naturepedic Crib Mattress vs. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer
The Moonlight Slumber crib mattress is vinyl-free, polyethylene-free, PVC-free, and phthalate-free.
It is a foam mattress, meaning that it is lighter than the Naturepedic mattress. The mattress foam is CentiPUR-certified – it’s constructed from flame-retardant and non-toxic chemicals.
Additionally, the Little Dreamer has its stitching on the inside of the crib mattress as opposed to the outside. Therefore, if any fluid gets spilled on the mattress, it won’t get trapped around the mattress’ edges, hence, it won’t grow mold. The exterior cover is waterproof and easy to clean with a wet cloth.
- DUAL SIDE SLEEP SYSTEM. The Little Dreamer Dual Surface Mattress is a two-stage sleep system for your infant or toddler. Use the extra firm, eco-friendly, plant based foam layer for your infant, or soft plush side for your toddler
- MEDICAL GRADE FABRIC. The medical grade fabric used is waterproof, durable stretch knit fabric with extra tight sewn seams. It is certified to be free of toxic flame-retardant chemicals and has low impact on indoor air due to low VOC
- CLEANS EASILY. The 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic material makes cleaning this dual system sleeping mattress a breeze. With SafeSewn Seams, it is bed bug and dust mite resistant, so you can ensure your baby will have sweet dreams
- PERFORMANCE TESTED. Moonlight Slumber products go through demanding performance-testing procedures, utilizing a range of methods for evaluating durability, safety, and performance
- MADE IN THE USA. Moonlight Slumber procures the safest quality materials to build mattresses in America's heartland. The Little Dreamer is GreenGuard and CertiPUR Certified
2. Naturepedic Crib Mattress vs. Newton Wovenaire
The Newton Wovenaire is made of two components – a 3D spacer cover and the Wovenaire filler. The Wovenaire filler is basically food-grade polymers stuffed together. The soft polymer is made in a very unique way – liquid plastic is shot into a pool of water and, in the process, forms flexible pieces of plastic. The whole crib mattress is 10 percent polymer fillings and 90% air.
With this unique construction comes many benefits. The Newton Wovenaire is free from toxic chemicals, possess significantly lower suffocation risk, it is super comfortable, evenly balanced, supportive, lightweight, and 100% washable.
Moreover, since it is 90 percent air and the cover has small holes through which air escapes, the mattress has good heat retention capabilities for a good night’s sleep.
Unfortunately, the price tag is pretty high for many consumers.
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers (2-stage) and 100% washable at home.
- PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED: For your baby's health, safety, and development. Hypoallergenic. Winner of numerous awards.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. 100% recyclable. Proudly made in the USA.
3. Naturepedic Crib Mattress vs. Colgate Eco Classica III
The Colgate Eco Classica II is a dual-sided crib mattress, with one of the sides being a little bit firmer than the other. The firmer side is used for toddlers and the softer side is used for infants (each side is clearly marked).
This crib mattress weighs just 10 pounds, making it way lighter than the Naturepedic crib mattress. You’ll find it very easy to flip it over or change the crib sheets.
The cover is made from certified organic cotton, while the inner part is made from food-based foam. The mattress has no off-gassing smell which may make the baby uncomfortable. It also comes at a friendly price.
- 6" THICK ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESS - The Eco Classica III is a standard size orthopedic lightweight Crib mattress designed for most standard American cribs and toddler beds. The Crib mattress is approximately 51.63" long, 27.25" wide and 6" thick. Please measure your Crib or bed before purchasing
- DUAL-FIRMNESS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need for proper support and development, while the less firm side provides the comfort toddlers prefer
- ULTRA-SOFT WATERPROOF COVER - The eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover, which is waterproof-backed to ensure the mattress stays dry while the baby's skin remains closest to organic cotton
- GREENGUARD GOLD & CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED - Like all Colgate mattresses, The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements - without the use of Fire retardant chemicals
- MADE IN THE USA - The Eco Classica III is designed to last throughout the infant and toddler years, with inverted seams to ensure Mattress durability. All Colgate Crib mattresses are proudly handcrafted in the USA by Colgate, The Crib mattress Specialist, a family-owned and operated business dedicated to baby's safety since 1955
4. Naturepedic Crib Mattress vs. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core
Just like the Naturepedic mattress, the Sealy Soybean is natural and non-toxic. It is made from a combination of soybean foam and polyurethane. The crib mattress is firm and breathable, making it a great choice for the hot summer months.
With a stain-resistant and waterproof cover, you can easily wipe the mattress clean. This eliminates the need for a waterproof pad.
Unlike Naturepedic crib mattress, the Sealy Soybean is a lightweight innerspring mattress, hence, easy to move around. Its 51.6” x 27.2” x 5” size makes it fit perfectly in any standard-sized baby crib.
However, the Sealy Soybean is known for sinking over time.
- [HIGH-DENSITY SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE] -- Lightweight yet ultra-durable soybean foam-core uses a percentage of natural and renewable soybeans grown by American farmers, providing the right amount of firmness and comfort for infants and toddlers.
- [PREMIUM FEEL GOOD FOAM] -- The foam used throughout is CertiPur-US Certified foam made in the USA. It is made without phthalates, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PBDES, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants that may be a concern in non-certified foams.
- [WATERPROOF SURFACE & BINDING] -- Reinforced embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover with lock-stitched binding helps to keep liquids from seeping inside while household allergens like dust and dander will wipe away instead of clinging to the mattress surface.
- [SAFETY & QUALITY TESTED] -- Firmness, durability and crib fit tested, passes American Society for Testing and Materials Crib Mattress Standards; this entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby. All our mattresses are tested for flame retardant chemicals and we do not add flame retardant chemicals.
- [MADE IN THE USA] -- Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts. Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
5. Naturepedic Crib Mattress vs. “My First Mattress” Memory Foam Mattress
The “My First Mattress” memory foam mattress is highly recommended for toddlers and babies. Memory foam for kids may seem a little strange, but this specific mattress is quite efficient.
It is anti-microbial, dust mite proof, hypoallergenic, CertiPUR-US certified, lead-free, and phthalate-free.
The cover is 100% washable – just remove it from the mattress and throw it in the washer. It is also soft, breathable, easy to clean, and durable. However, unlike the Naturepedic crib mattress, this mattress cover is not waterproof. This means that it’s more likely to be infested by mold or fungi if it is not properly and regularly cleaned.
Thanks to the dense memory foam, the mattress is plush and very comfortable for a good night’s sleep. And since it is made from high-quality memory foam, the mattress won’t sink over time. It is also supportive and evenly distributes weight.
Surprisingly, the mattress performs well when it comes to heat retention – it is well-ventilated and does not allow overheating. It also weighs just 11 lbs. – this is 6 lbs. less than the Naturepedic crib mattress.
If you tie all the benefits together – comfort, durability, support, lightweight, and breathability – the “My First Mattress” could be a good alternative, even if it’s made of high-density memory foam.
- PREMIUM MATTRESS: Baby crib mattress is constructed of premium CertiPUR-US certified flexible polyurethane foam
- CREATED WITH YOUR CHILD IN MIND: The plush removable waterproof mattress cover is soft, washable and PVC free
- EXCEEDS STANDARDS: Baby mattress meets and exceeds federal flammability and CPSC standards
- ALLERGY FREE: Hypoallergenic crib mattress is mite-proof, phthalate and lead free
- STANDARD SIZE: Mattress fits all standard cribs
The Pros and Cons of Naturepedic Crib Mattress
Here are some of the common pros and cons of the Naturepedic crib mattress according to users.
The Final Word
The Naturepedic crib mattress is rather expensive, but you get what you pay for. The all-natural, organic components are utterly safe, waterproof, and offer firm support. Even though the cotton sinks over time, this can be expected from any other mattress.
You might also want to overlook the heavy weight and focus more on its safety, durability, and good construction. After thoughtfully analyzing the pros and the cons, this generally seems to be a good mattress for your newborn. You might pay more, but it’s worth every penny.