It’s 7 a.m. and your body is full of aches. You’ve just woken up from a terrible night of sleep that has left you haggard. Weakly, you push yourself up from your bed and swear that you’ll do anything to get a better night of rest.
If that sounds like you, you may be in the market for a new mattress.
When it comes to choosing a mattress, there are countless brands, stores, and ads, vying for your attention. How are you supposed to know which one is the best, without lying down on every mattress in the store?
Everyone’s bodies and qualities of sleep are very different, so finding the right mattress for you could be a lot more complicated than you first might think.
And sure, that could mean that it comes down to lying on every mattress in an entire mall to find the right fit, but to help narrow down that process, you could collect a lot of research.
That’s what we did here, for you, so you don’t have to go scouring reviews across the web.
We took a closer look at the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress, and tried to pinpoint what we thought its positives were, as well as its negatives, in order to determine whether or not it’s worth buying.
What Makes the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress Unique?
The Sealy Memory Foam Mattress comes in several varieties, all a part of their Conform Line.
If you were to view a cross section of these mattresses, you’d see that they are made up of a combination of things, from normal foam to their advanced gel foam. According to their website, the layering of these foams is meant to create a perfectly cushioned mattress, which should be both soft and supportive.
The Sealy Memory Foam Mattress comes in three types. All three have a base of SealySupport Gel Foam and no available edge system. They come in the sizes Twin XL, Full, Queen, Split Queen (Foundation), King, Split King, and California King.
So, what’s the difference between them?
1. Sealy Essential Collection
- 10.5-INCH MATTRESS: Cushion firm mattress with an Ultra-Stretch ComfortLoft Cover of super-stretchable, mid-loft knit fabric designed to allow the mattress top layer to better conform to the body.
- COMFORTSENSE FOAM: 2-inch Sealy ComfortSense Gel Memory Foam, the latest innovation in gel memory foam, designed to respond to your body's unique shape for more comfortable night's sleep.
- SEALYSUPPORT FOAM: 8-inch SealySupport Gel Base Foam provides a durable base for the mattress to prevent sagging.
- FABRIC COVER: Covered in stretch knit fabric cover for added comfort. Rest easy on 1.5 inch Sealy ComfortSense Gel Memory Foam and 7.5 inch SealySupport Gel Base Foam- with a total mattress height of 9 inch
- 10-YEAR WARRANTY: 10-Year warranty for comfort you can rely on.
The first is their Sealy Essential Collection, which is the most affordable of the three.
At $699, you can get a Sealy mattress with standard support, an Ultra-Stretch ComfortLoft Cover, and a top layer of Sealy ComfortSense Foam.
This mattress can come in three different types, from Firm to Cushion Firm to Plush.
The Sealy Essential Collection is by far the simplest of the three, but still certainly worth checking out, especially considering its slightly more affordable price.
2. Sealy Performance Collection
The second is the Sealy Performance Collection, which is their mid-range mattress and adds on some considerable perks.
At $1,249, you’ll get Posturepedic Technology supporting your back, an Ultra-Stretch ComfortLoft Cover with MoistureProtect, and two top layers, one of Sealy ComfortSense Foam and the other made from Sealy Chill Gel Memory Foam.
This mattress comes in Firm, Cushion Firm, and Plush, just like the Sealy Essential Collection mattress.
3. Sealy Premium Collection
Finally, there is their most expensive and supposedly best mattress, the Sealy Premium Collection. This mattress, like the last, comes with Posturepedic Technology to support your body, but its cover is made from Ultra-Stretch ComfortLoft Cover with Chill.
Like the Sealy Performance Collection mattress, this one comes with two top layers of foam, one of Sealy ComfortSense Foam and one of Sealy Chill Gel Memory Foam. But unlike either of the other two mattresses, this one only comes in Firm or Ultra Plush.
This mattress will set you back a significant $2,099, so make sure it’s what you want before jumping in.
What Do People Think of the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress?
On the Sealy website, there are no 1-star reviews, one 2-star review, and one 3-star review of the mattress. That’s a lot of love.
Interestingly, the 2-star review and 3-star reviews had nothing negative to say about the mattress, and in fact recommended it. 5-star reviews lavished praise on the mattress, talking about how comfortable it is, and how it helps with back pain. One person simply said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it.
Even on Wayfair, not many of the reviewers had anything bad to say. The only negative review reads: “Not absolutely the best mattress, but at this price it's okay.” While hardly a glowing review, it is pretty reassuring to see that that is the most negative thing anyone on Wayfair had to say about the Sealy Memory Foam mattress.
On Amazon, there is a little more negativity. A couple of the 1-star reviews on the Sealy Essential Collection memory foam mattress complain that it’s too firm and not plush at all, saying that even with a mattress topper, it was too hard to sleep on.
Another 1-star reviewer claims it isn’t good for people who run hot. However, five different 4 to 5-star reviewers said the opposite, saying it stayed cool for them through the night.
The final two critical reviews on Amazon seem to pinpoint specific issues that have since been resolved: such as the wrong size mattress arriving (later reviewers said they had no problem with this) and the mattress being lopsided.
While the Sealy Performance Collection had only two positive reviews, and no negative reviews, the Sealy Premium Collection did have a 1-star review, which detailed one customer’s attempt to like the mattress.
They got their mattress in Firm, but say it’s both too firm and not firm enough, making you sink softly into the foam, and then becoming solid, so it’s hard to move. They also claimed that there was nothing cooling about the cooling gel foam, and that even with a mattress topper, they were unable to get comfortable.
Ultimately, they concluded that the mattress might be good for someone who likes sleeping on the floor – but not them.
Overall, however, people responded well to the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress. Most who noted the cooling gel found it to be cooling, and praised the mattress for restoring them to a good night’s sleep.
One positive reviewer said they prefer their Tempur-Pedic mattress, but overall have liked this mattress as well and recommends it for back sleepers. Another praised it endlessly as the “best mattress [they’ve] ever slept on,” but also admits that their partner didn’t find it quite as incredible, although she also liked it – just found it to be a little too firm.
The Sealy Essential Collection mattress earned a 4.1-star rating with 35 customer reviews on Amazon, while the Sealy Performance Collection mattress snagged a 4.5-star rating with 4 customer reviews. Last, but not least, the Sealy Premium Collection mattress closed out with a solid 4-star rating with 12 customer reviews.
How It Compares to Other Mattresses
Of course, the Sealy memory foam mattresses are not the only ones on the market. There are several big-name competitors that might be worth looking into before making a decision. All mentioned prices below refer to the queen size versions of the respective mattresses.
1. Tuft & Needle Mattress
- PROVEN: We're not shy to say, people love us; This mattress has 1 of the highest percentages of 5 star reviews across mattresses on Amazon; We like to keep things honest and transparent, that goes for our business model, our products, and our reviews
- PROPRIETARY ADAPTIVE FOAM: Constructed with freshly poured T and N Adaptive foam, this mattress provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for all sleeping positions and also allows us to box the mattress for quick shipping without compromising quality
- NOT HOT, NOT COLD, JUST RIGHT: Our high grade foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam; The T and N Adaptive foam sleeps cool, sleeps comfortable and offers great pressure relief, plus you won't disturb your sleeping partner
- NO RISK: Our mattress has a full refund guarantee with a 100 Night Sleep Trial plus an honest 10 year limited warranty you can actually use (no gimmicks)
- CERTIFIED: We go the extra mile to get our mattresses Greenguard Gold, and Certi PUR certified; This means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third party certified to be free of harmful chemicals, substances or materials
The Tuft & Needle mattress is popular, but with lots of consistent complaints. It has a 4.2-star rating with a whopping 6,616 reviews on Amazon. That’s a little more than the Sealy Essential Collection mattress’s Amazon.
Some reviewers raved that after searching for years for the right mattress, they had finally found it in Tuft & Needle. But most of the negative reviews pointed out that the mattress starts out great, then becomes too soft to handle over time.
One reviewer said that after 77 days of owning the mattress (and after loving it in the store, when they first tried it out), they realized it had started to cause them back pain.
Multiple reviewers complained about indents forming in the bed over time, and overall the consensus seems to be that the mattress starts out great, but is quite soft and might not last as long as you’d like.
The Sealy memory foam mattresses have yet to be called out for having this problem, and seem to be a better option of the two of these.
2. Zinus Memory Foam Mattress
- Conforming Green Tea Memory Foam comfort and pressure relieving support for a better night's sleep, foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- 3 inches Memory Foam, 2 inches Comfort Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High density Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High density Base Support Foam. Sizes are subject to +/ 0.5 Inch
- A safe and trustworthy anti oxidant, Zinus infuses its memory foam products with natural green tea extract to maintain product freshness
- Smartly Shipped Our patented technology allows our mattresses to be efficiently compressed, rolled and shipped in a box conveniently to your door
- Queen (L x W x H) 60 X 80 X 12 inches, 62.5 pounds, please allow up to 72 hours for the mattress to fully expand and for any potential odor to dissipate. We recommend removing all bed sheets from the mattress and letting it air out in a well ventilated space
The Zinus Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress has a 4.2-star rating with an incredible 20,196 reviews on Amazon.
The primary critique of this mattress is its odor. Some people had no issues, but a fair amount of people raised this as a big problem for them, saying it smelled like mildew or mold. Interestingly, one reviewer said that they had ordered the mattress from Zinus themselves before and had no problem, but when ordering from Amazon they got a smelly mattress.
Despite their popularity, given the mattress’s comfort and affordable price, the Zinus Memory Foam Mattress seems like a risk that might not be worth taking. If you feel like gambling to see if you can get a fresh smelling Zinus Memory Foam Mattress, you might be greatly rewarded for your bravery – but you might also find yourself very disappointed.
3. Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 8 Inch hybrid mattress combines memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed and shipped in a box for convenient delivery and setup
- Available in a medium firm 8 inch profile, a medium 10 inch profile, or a plush 12 inch profile that also features gel infusions and individually encased coils
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging; these carbons are harmless pieces of plastic and will not stick to your mattress; 10 year limited warranty
The Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress is on Amazon with a 4.5-star rating based on 5,009 customer reviews.
It markets itself as the best of both worlds, with the benefits of a foam mattress and spring mattress combined. And the reviews speak for themselves.
People love this mattress, especially for their kids (this version of the mattress does market itself as perfect for a guest or kid’s bedroom). But couples and bigger people found it to be too flimsy.
The bottom line for this mattress is just: If you’re getting it for yourself, think again, but if you’re getting it for a child or guest bedroom, consider it.
4. LUCID Memory Foam Mattress
- Dual layer mattress combines 2.5 inches gel infused, ventilated memory foam surface + 7.5 inches high density foam base for excellent support for a medium feel
- Gel infused memory foam regulates temperature while conforming to the body to ease pressure points
- Temperature regulating, moisture controlling Tencel blend fabric cover creates a comfortable air layer
- Memory Foam is CertiPUR US certified for safety and performance
- Compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box for simple setup; easily fits through narrow hallways and staircases
The LUCID Memory Foam Mattress has a 4.1-star rating with 5,136 customer reviews.
This mattress is not the most beloved of the bunch, but those who like it have a lot of good things to say. One reviewer raved about its zip-off cover and comfort, and yet another said her young son loves it so much he’s no longer afraid to sleep on his own anymore.
Those who don’t like the LUCID Memory Foam Mattress mostly complain that it sinks in the middle. Those who don’t think it’s soft, however, say that it’s rock hard. Either way, the negative reviewers agree that their main complaint is that it’s just not that comfortable.
The best advice from reviewers seems to reflect the quality of the Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress: It’s just not for adults.
So while it might be a great option for a young child, if you’re looking for a mattress for adults, try elsewhere.
What We Think of the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress
The Sealy Memory Foam Mattress seems to be much beloved for good reason. It’s flexible, comfortable, and affordable, especially considering its quality.
If you do decide to get a Sealy Memory Foam Mattress, it does seem very important that you get the right type for you.
That means narrowing it down from the three Sealy Memory Foam Mattress categories, Sealy Essential Collection, Sealy Performance Collection, and Sealy Premium Collection, and then choosing a level of firmness or softness based on what you need.
Those who complained tended to be talking about the feel of the mattress they had chosen (AKA the mattress is too firm or not firm enough, or is both too firm and not firm enough).
This could be an indication that choosing the right feel of the mattress is extremely important to how you’ll feel about it. Alternatively, it could be a sign that the feel of the mattress itself is a bit off from what it was purported to be.
However, because so many people seem to love the Sealy Memory Foam Mattress, I think as long as you are careful about choosing which feel you’d like to get from your mattress, you will end up pretty happy with a Sealy Memory Foam Mattress.