You’re getting a full night’s sleep but still waking up as tired as you were when you went to bed. Your bed just isn’t providing the comfort and support it once did. You’ve always dreamt about owning a memory foam mattress, but you aren’t crazy about the size of the investment required to make that dream come true.
Does this sound like you? A mattress topper might be the answer you’re looking for to take care of that, and it could become a game changer for your sleep health and hygiene. However, not all mattress toppers are created equal.
A well-chosen mattress topper complements an existing bed’s qualities and addresses the shortcomings of a mattress. On the other hand, one chosen hastily could create more problems than you initially had.
This review explores the virtues of memory foam in a mattress topper in comparison to other materials. We have specifically focused on the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper.
Keep reading to see if it could be the right choice for you.
5 Questions to Answer Before Considering a Mattress Topper
It’s possible you don’t know whether a mattress topper is right for you.
If you can answer “yes” to any of the following questions, you might need a mattress topper.
Do You Have a New Mattress?
New mattresses are a big investment. If you recently purchased a new bed, your salesperson may have let you know that if you regularly flip your mattress, this could prolong its life. However, it may not always be practical to do so, particularly if your bed is on the larger side.
On the other hand, a mattress topper could be easily flipped by most people.
Are You Stuck With a Mattress You Don’t Like?
If rather than making a well-informed purchase, you fell prey to a marketing strategy and made an impulse purchase, you could be stuck with a product you hate. This could be a way-too-firm-for-you luxury spring form mattress, a too-soft bed in a box, or even a water bed that made your electric bill skyrocket during the winter.
Rather than suffering in silence, consider a mattress topper. It might help you to turn it all around.
Have You Had Surgery or Been in an Accident Recently?
When your body goes through trauma like during a surgery or an accident, your needs for comfort can change. A once-perfect mattress could become burdensome, and a mattress topper could help you correct the problem while you recover.
Do You Often Host Guests in Your Home?
If you have frequent guests stay over, you could become their favorite host by improving their sleeping quarters.We all know that sleeping on a futon, a cot, or an inflatable bed isn’the most comfortable. Adding a mattress topper to any of these could significantly improve your guests’ comfort while sleeping.
Are Your and Your Partner’s “Sleeper Personalities” Vastly Different?
If opposites attract, this could mean you and your partner have opposing sleeping preferences, too. There is, however, a way to compromise.
If you share a king-sized bed, the solution may be that each of you chooses the best mattress topper for yourself. Two extra-long twin toppers add up to one king-sized solution.You’d each feel “just right” like Goldilocks, and you’d sleep happily ever after.
Get to Know Your “Sleeper Personality”
You may not be aware of the kind of sleeper you are, so taking time to analyze your behaviors, likes, and dislikes will pay dividends once you’re ready to buy.
To understand your sleeper personality, document your responses to the following questions:
- What kind of mattress do you own? Do you have a spring form, latex, or memory foam mattress? Is it very firm, medium, or plush?
- What position do you sleep in? Do you sleep on your side, your back, or your stomach? Or do you switch over during the night? If so, you’re a combination sleeper.
- Do you get hot easily when you’re sleeping? Do you have a fan or A/C in your bedroom? Are you sensitive to heat or cold?
- Do you move around a lot while asleep? Does your sleeping partner move around a lot? Are you a light or heavy sleeper?
- What’s your weight? Do you weigh under 250 pounds? Your needs will be different than if you weigh 250 or more.
- Is the ability to easily move your mattress topper important to you? Do you want to be able to clean your topper by taking it off your bed? Are you okay with wiping it down while it’s on the bed?
- Do you have frequent pain? Are you in a lot of pain? What kind of pain is it?
- What kind of warranty am I willing to accept? The industry standard is a non-transferrable warranty of no more than two years.
- How much use do I expect to get out of my product? Each product brand, material, and pricing range will have a different shelf life.
Some Background on the Tempur-Pedic Brand and Memory Foam
Tempur-Pedic is one of four registered brands belonging to the Tempur-Sealy family of bedding products.
Tempur-Pedic products feature TEMPUR, a memory foam material developed by the company over 30 years ago. The company boasts inspiration from technology NASA developed in the 1970s to cushion astronauts during takeoff and landing.
TEMPUR adapts to the body of the sleeper, adjusting to body temperature, weight, and unique body shape.
You may remember the infomercials years ago, where Tempur-Pedic showed individuals conducting tests including a baseball player pitching an egg at the Tempur-Pedic mattress or people jumping up and down on the bed to see if the water or wine would spill out of its glass.
How Do People Evaluate Memory Foam?
The famous wineglass test Tempur-Pedic popularized is still a part of their commercials today, and similar tests involving containers filled with liquid have become a standard for reviewers to show movement transfer (or lack thereof) on a mattress in their video reviews.
Memory foam manufacturers express the density of a mattress topper in pounds per cubic foot or PCF. Density is a weight measurement determined by weighing a section of foam that measures one foot in length, width, and depth, or one cubic foot.
Knowing the foam density will allow you to calculate how much a mattress topper will weigh. To calculate it, you’d take the density figures and multiply by the volume of your mattress.
On the other hand, indentation load detection (ILD) will indicate how much pressure you will need to apply to make an imprint in a layer of foam.
Both measurements could determine your mattress topper’s firmness. The denser the foam, the firmer it tends to be. The higher the ILD, the firmer you can expect the foam to be. Figures for memory foam range from 10 to 20.
Even though these two measurements can both be used to gauge your memory foam product’s firmness, they should not be used interchangeably. It is possible for a product with high density to have low ILD and vice versa.Why are these concepts important for you to understand? Well, a mattress topper that is low density will lose its shape and elasticity more quickly than a higher densitiy one. This means higher density foam is well-suited for people who are heavyset or those with frequent joint pain.
Other Questions to Answer Before Purchasing a Mattress Topper
Once you’ve completed your self-assessment and understood how that relates to your ideal topper’s movement transfer, density, and ILD, the next step is to review pricing and consumer protection.
- What’s my budget for this purchase? Pricing for a mattress topper can go anywhere from under $100 up to serveral hundreds.
- Will I require a trial period to decide? While it is common for certain mattresses to come with a trial period, many mattress toppers don’t offer this perk.
So, What Makes the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper Unique?
The TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is a 3-inch mattress topper featuring the same TEMPUR material the manufacturer uses for its luxury beds.
Tempur-Pedic recommends this product for people who need to travel with comfort, calling it an ideal product for camping and recreational vehicles. They also recognize that a TEMPUR mattress may not be practical for all types of clients, and they produce the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme in the dimensions of the most common bed sizes.
The manufacturer offers a 25-year warranty on this product. Amazon lists the warranty as lasting 10 years.
How the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Compares to Other Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
Unfortunately, there are a lot of product details that Tempur-Pedic chooses not to disclose with the public.
Their TEMPUR material is technically memory foam, yet without giving supporting data to the consumer, the manufacturer claims that their product is more specialized than ordinary memory foam due to years of research invested into the development of their proprietary material.
We have included three products in this review that could compare to the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme, according to what we have come to understand through our research.
The Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is Amazon’s Choice for mattress topper. It has nearly 4500 ratings on the site, with 66% of those ratings at 5 stars.
- 3" of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress
- Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
- Ventilated design improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate
- Memory foam is infused with a plush gel material that captures heat to control temperature
- Queen size mattress topper measures 60" x 80" and comes with a 3-year U.S. warranty
- Shipping and Trial Period: Free shipping, returns accepted within 30 days of purchase.
- Warranty: 3-year limited warranty.
- Configuration Options: 2- and 3-inch mattress topper available in twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king, and California king sizes.
- Construction: The 3-inch mattress topper is constructed from foam with a ventilated design.
- Firmness: Soft.
- Cooling: The ventilated design and gel infusion makes for a very cool topper.
- Unique to this Mattress: The possibility to infuse cooling gel, lavender, or bamboo charcoal into the foam.
- Rating on Amazon: 4.2 stars.
If you’re on a budget, it’s going to be difficult to beat this highly-rated gel-infused topper, but let’s see what the other two have to offer.
This DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper has over 4200 reviews on Amazon, with 72% of those reviews rated at 5 stars.
- Our #1 selling topper, The 2" gel swirl memory foam topper is designed to enhance the comfort of your current mattress by providing ultimate pressure point relief and contouring.
- A unique gel swirl Infusion increases air circulation, drawing heat out and away from your body to deliver a cooler night's sleep.
- Certi-pur us certified and meets the highest standards for quality.
- 3-Year warranty, proudly Made in the U.S.A; The soft visco-elastic memory foam will add comfort and increase the quality of sleep mattress immediately
- Compressed and rolled into a 12" X 12" X 18" Box so your topper can be shipped by parcel directly to your door. Please allow up to 24 hours for any potential odors to dissipate and topper to fully expand.
- Shipping and Trial Period: Free shipping and free returns for 30 days.
- Warranty: 3-year.
- Configuration Options: 2 and 3-inch thickness available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king sizes.
- Construction: Visco-elastic foam topper.
- Firmness: Soft.
- Cooling: Information not readily available.
- Unique to this Mattress: N/A.
- Rating on Amazon: 4.3 stars.
We love that this topper is highly customizable. Over 3500 reviewers rating it 5 stars love it, too.
- SWEET DREAMS - Red Nomad understands the science of sleep, and that knowledge paired with unbeatable craftsmanship goes into every one of our 3 inch Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Toppers. Prepare for a more restful sleep, and let us get you there faster.
- CERTIFIED QUALITY - No flimsy packing foam here, our premium memory foam is produced in accordance with the CertiPUR-US program. In other words, we've made sure you get what you've paid for. In addition, our foam is Made in the USA!
- ADVANCED DESIGN - We keep you cool night after night with an improved Cool Cycle Polymer design that keeps cool air in, and heat out. Say goodbye to sweaty nights, and enjoy a comfortable and refreshing nights rest.
- TRUE SUPPORT - Our mattress pad reduces pressure points, which helps to alleviate that nagging ache in your neck or back. No matter if you're a back, side, or stomach sleeper, we've got the support you need to sleep better, and get to sleep faster!
- GUARANTEED PRODUCT WITH A GUARANTEED FIT - Our topper is sized 1" shorter on all sides to accommodate snug placement of your fitted sheets. Check out the dimensions in the description below. Lastly, When you buy with Red Nomad, you're buying guaranteed quality, and if anything isn't up to par, all you have to do is let us know, and we'll make it right, from refund to replacement.
- Shipping and Trial Period: Free shipping.
- Warranty: 100% Money-back guarantee.
- Configuration Options: 2-, 3-, and 4-inch mattress topper available in full, queen, king, and California king sizes.
- Construction: Cool cycle polymer design that is meant to keep cool air in and heat out.
- Firmness: Much softer than regular memory foams, less supportive.
- Cooling: Better than traditional memory foam mattresses.
- Unique to this Mattress: Sized 1 inch shorter on all sides of the mattress to ensure your fitted sheets fit snugly.
- Rating on Amazon: 4.6 stars.
Lucid 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
2- and 3-inch mattress topper.
DreamFoam 2″ Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
2 and 3-inch thickness.
Ultra Premium Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper by Red Nomad
100% Money-back guarantee.
2-, 3-, and 4-inch mattress topper.
What We Think About the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
One thing we don’t like about Tempur-Pedic is how little information they share with consumers. They claim that TEMPUR is a better product than plain memory foam, yet they don’t really share why that is. Competitors tend to be a little more transparent with the information they share.